St Michael's Church, Michaelchurch
This is a beautiful little redundant church where we have a service once a year (around Midsummer). It's looked after by the Churches Conservation Trust who keep it in excellent order and we are very grateful to them.
The first recorded church at Michaelchurch is thought to have been built around 1056, but the present north and west walls are probably later (around 1200) and the other walls are 13th century. Some of the medieval and later wall painting and texts are still visible. The font is Norman, and opposite the door is a Roman altar leading us to wonder just how ancient this site is as a sacred place.
For more information about the Michaelchurch church building, visit the Herefordshire Through Time website.
Postcode for sat nav: HR2 8LD
Grid reference: SO 521 255
Going north towards Hereford from Ross on the A49 shortly after the Abergavenny turn you'll pass the Pengethley Garden Centre. Carry on past the next road on the left, then take the lane signposted to Orcop. About a mile down this lane, turn left at the crossroads and then take the next left fairly soon. Follow this lane to Michaelchurch.